Apologies to those of you who are starting the fast today. We cannot fast due to health limitations. I have to avoid drastic changes in diet in order to prevent migraines that cause strokes. I also need to avoid grains and gluten and limit carb intake. This recipe happened this evening, since Bethann was busy finishing a peppermint swirl dress, and could not break away to cook. I used ingredients I found in the refrigerator, cleaning up odds and ends. Bethann had started to thaw about a pound of 80% lean ground beef. It was still pretty frozen when I put it in the cast iron skillet. That worked pretty well. It allowed enough time for me to cut the other ingredients and for them to cook, without overcooking the beef.
- ~ 1 pound 80% lean ground beef
- 1 small, sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 Gala or other sweet apple, peeled & diced
- ~ 10 radishes, finely diced
- 4 portabella mushrooms, diced
- a handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- a generous pinch of ground ginger
- a generous pinch of ground mustard
- a generous pinch of ground turmeric
- 5 twists of black pepper
- ~ 3 ounces of feta cheese
Start to fry the ground beef in a large cast iron skillet. Flip it and scrape it as needed to break it up and continue thawing it and cooking it, while slicing the other ingredients. As the ingredients are cut up, add them to the skillet. Add the spices. Keep turning and mixing the ingredients. When all of the vegetables are tender and the beef is cooked, crumble the cheese on top of the mixture and cover until melted. Serve.
It was delicious!